Sunday, March 17, 2013

Upgrade Guide Updated for Medals

A common mistake that many beginners make is not upgrading their aircraft.  I remember when I finally saved up after weeks to buy my Thresher.  I was fired up and went and took my first flight, expecting to demolish my competition with my speed and agility.  Much to my surprise, I lost my first 3 matches with my Thresher, all to lower skilled opponents!  Unfortunately, the dirty little secret about these jets is that when you buy or save up credits to finally get a plane, you are really only half way there.  To really compete effectively and have a satisfying experience, you will want to eventually fully upgrade your plane.

IMPORTANT NOTE:  It is much more beneficial to fully upgrade a plane than to fly a "better" plane that is not upgraded.

For this reason, I recommend that a beginner stick with one or two planes and focus on upgrading them.  This will cost you credits and will also cost you coins  medals.  Keep in mind Tapjoys offers of free coins - they really are a great way to avoid shelling out cash.  Next mothers day, order some flowers thru FTD tapjoy and earn 251 coins!

One thing that many players are not aware of is that once you buy a plane, all upgrades for that class of plane are the same from there forward (although you do have to upgrade each plane separately unfortunately).  There are 3 upgrade trees, one for each class of plane.   Also, all upgrades cost the same, no matter what class of plane you have.  The map of upgrade costs are as follows (UPDATED FOR version 5.0 now showing the medals required instead of coins):

Upgrade Tree as of 3/16/13

As you can see in the cumulative totals on the right, if you want to get ALL of the upgrades it will cost you 13,900 credits and 162 coins NOW 2165 MEDALS as of the version 5.0 update.  That is over 500 coins (if you buy the medals).  You can earn them, but it will take a LONG time to earn 2165 medals

As for upgrade percentage boosts, they are identical for each class of plane.  The only difference in fully upgraded planes of the same class are the initial increases that are advertised when you buy the plane.  For example the only difference between a fully upgraded Thresher and a fully upgraded Annihilator is the advertised numbers as seen below:





Here is the table of upgrades for each class of plane that you can expect if you receive for a full upgrade of your plane:

Upgrade Table per Plane Class

You can see how the weapons class planes focuses on weapons related upgrades, agility class planes on speed, acceleration upgrades... and defense class on armor.   It took me awhile to learn how this works but.thanks goes out to WarWolf[Beta and Floris for some of the postings that I've found that help explain this!















14 comments:

  1. This is just changed today.

    2nd last upgrade now cost 15 coins each
    Last upgrade now cost 10 coins each

    ReplyDelete
  2. What template did you use on blogger? Im not going to copy you but I've wanted to create a MSW guide. This is a perfect template for it. Please tell me what it is! Tell me on this comment page.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Guys, just curious. If an agility plane and a weapons plane both did not have any armour bonuses, would it take the same number of hits to take both down? Does an Agility plane with 5% armour bonus have less hp than a weapons class with 5% armour?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No and yes. Agility class have got less standard armor than weapon class so even a reaper have got less armor than a wraith. Hope I helped.

      Delete
    2. So Skyraza, what i am saying is both the agility plane and weapon plane which are not upgraded and do not have any armour or damage resistance bonuses, does it take the same number of hits to go down?

      Delete
    3. Given those parameters. The weapon class plane will anyway take more hits to go down just because it is a weapon class and its default armor is higher that the Agility one. It is vice-versa if we were talking, for example, about speed: for the same reason it is higher in Agi planes. It's the same thing with every stat between classes.
      Hope I explained better.

      Delete
  4. Dear Metalstormforever, I was wondering when you upgrade a plane. Here's an example. My panther has an upgrade:3% armor regen rank3 do you get 1% per upgrade or3% per upgrade?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Upgrades don't stack up so rank 3 is 3% armor regen and not 1+2+3=5% armor regen at rank 3.

      Delete
  5. I have been fully upgrading planes when bought. But I believe I am seeing that if you do 1 upgrade at a time on your plane and then go fly, that you can get magic missiles or other upgrades. How do you get magic upgrades and magic missiles?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Every plane that has been offered I have bought and fully upgraded. I have only played on the iPad for last 4 months. Once I made level50 I competed on the versa matches. Then my skill level rose quickly, once I hit the 3000 mark I have been playing against planes that by far out miniver and missiles I can't even see. Any chance of a plane for my iPad that can out do the cheaters on their own game system? Any chance of a cheat sheet on how play and when to upgrade the plane for the most out of cannons and missiles?

    ReplyDelete
  7. stop trying to cheat speedy two wrongs does not make a right! anyway z2 cleaned out all the hackers alr so if you still lose badly it shows your lack of skills chum

    ReplyDelete
  8. Luggggg

    URGENT UPDATE:

    For weapon class only (from what I heard)
    The 400 credit upgrade on the 2nd column starting from Left is now 20 medals each

    ReplyDelete
  9. So for weapon class upgrade, it should be 2225 medals in total, not 2165

    ReplyDelete
  10. hi, I don't know why, Ican't buy upgardes, wgen I click on "buy" it does like if I wanted to come back to see the other uprgardes, its weird. can somenone help me or et least tell me what's wrong?

    ReplyDelete